I apologize for the delayed update. Yesterday was consumed with the typical chaotic operating-room drama filled with anesthesia consults, pre-op and post-ops. Here is our current status:
Great news –
As you know – Rebecca has multiple, serious post-surgical complications we are concurrently working on. Her top three right now are:
– Intestinal/bladder fistula
– Scarred down rectal anastomosis site
– Intestinal blockage in the upper portion of the small intestines
While we are awaiting results from 2 MRIs on Rebecca’s blockage, Rebecca’s doctors wanted to capitalize on her NPO status and replace her current stent (from her March procedure) in her anastomosis site. The doctors planned to slowly increase Rebecca’s stricture (where her small intestines and rectum were joined last January) by replacing progressively larger stents every few weeks over the next few months. When the doctors went in to replace Rebecca’s existing stent yesterday, her current stent had already fallen out of place and her anastomosis site was completely open. In fact, it was so wide open, the space is now considered a normal size and there was no need to place another stent. Her stricture is considered officially healed! What we thought would be up to 6 plus surgical procedures to fix, we finished in only 3.
Our unexpected miracle – Hallelujah!!!
Thank you Lord.
Not-So-Great News –
We are still struggling with Rebecca’s blockage and nutrition is VERY difficult to sustain. We are loading Rebecca with all the IV fluids, electrolytes, potassium and magnesium we can give her but drinking liquids still creates intense waves of pain and backs-up in her intestines. TPN nutrition is currently not an option due to the state of her liver. We should receive the results of her 2 MRIs later today but in truth, MRIs are notoriously bad for giving specific details of the intestines. We are most likely dealing with one of three problems: herniated intestines, scarring from her abdominal cavity wrapped to the intestines, or a paralytic ileus that is taking extra time to heal. In the meantime, we are hitting multiple approaches – prokinetic drugs that will not affect her liver, contrast drinks known to promote movement, and even purposely throwing Rebecca’s body into narcotic withdrawals to stimulate her intestines. Anyone want to live in a hospital room with a teenager going through serious drug withdrawals??? It is SUPER fun I (almost) promise….
Regardless of her current situation – we still have hope and are fervently praying for healing without surgery.
To distract ourselves, we are focusing on how we want to celebrate Rebecca’s last few weeks of her senior year. We have big plans. She has missed almost half of her junior year and her entire senior year. The emotional isolation of living in a hospital during COVID has taken its toll and we want to remedy that by making beautiful memories with her friends at the very end of her monumental year.
I am constantly pacing our hospital room praying:
“Lord, please heal Rebecca without surgery. Please Lord. Please let her enjoy a few weeks of her senior year with her friends. Please Lord give her a small break to heal her body, heal her emotions, heal her spirit. Let our family have time together, Lord. Please.”
I pray the Lord will honor my pleas, but even if He doesn’t, I know He is here – carrying us through this difficult journey….
Love to each of you,
One of our pre-COVID, pre-procedure pictures (therefore no masks!). I sure do love this warrior girl of mine.